Smart Speed one-day workshop
Sharples School, Bolton 3 November 2019
Transform your freestyle! Develop a stroke that is faster, easier, and more efficient; swim faster with smarter choices, instead of greater effort.
This is a one day swimming workshop directed by Level 3 Total Immersion Coach, Penny Wilkin. During the day you will learn how to use swimming metrics such as time, stroke tempo and strokes per length to make you a faster swimmer. The workshop also includes video analysis.
Who should take this workshop?
- Swimmers who want to swim faster
- Swimmers who can swim 500m or more non-stop front crawl
- Swimmers who can maintain strokes per length within an efficient zone for their height (check here)
- Swimmers ready to take the next step to efficient swimming
- Swimmers who want to learn how to take the guesswork and drudgery out of their swim practice
- Long-time swimmers who find themselves stuck on a plateau or who have lost motivation.
What will you learn?
Replace guesswork and drudgery with the only guaranteed way to swim faster: hard-wire your brain and nervous system to maintain a long, fluent and relaxed stroke while swimming as far and as fast as you choose. In this workshop we will teach you:
- How to personalise stroke length and find your optimal range of stroke counts (SPL range) for pool practice based on your height and skill characteristics.
- How to work with stroke length and stroke rate.
- How to adapt stroke length and learn to make strategic use of each stroke count in your personal range to swim farther or faster with minimum strain and maximum ease.
- How to use a Tempo Trainer in combination with your personal range of stroke counts
- How to develop sustainable speed and the easiest way to maintain consistent pace for any distance
- How to create smart speed and the easiest way to increase pace
What will you take away?
This approach replaces one-size-fits-all workouts with practice that is completely personalised and will bring a mathematical specificity and predictability to your practice, planning and set design.
- An understanding that this method of personalised practice can bring rapid improvement in performance
- The ability to make confident, effective and personalised choices in self-coaching.
- The template for an infinite variety of mentally stimulating and physically challenging swim practises
What happens during the day?
During the day there will be about 4 hours of pool time split across two sessions with classroom sessions in between. The classroom sessions will cover the principles of Total Immersion swimming as well as feedback from your swimming videos.
Tea and coffee will be provided but please bring your own packed lunch.
Workshop Director Penny Wilkin is the only Total Immersion coach who is also a BTF (British Triathlon Federation) level 3 coach. Penny is also a BTF certified Open Water Coach, a level 2 ASA swim teacher, and a certified Ironman Coach. She has competed five Ironman events and is booked for a solo channel swim in 2020.
I’m a triathlete will this workshop help me swim faster?
Yes. We will teach you how to use a tempo trainer to benefit from metrics such as stroke tempo, strokes per length, rate of perceived exertion and time to be a faster and more efficient swimmer,
I’m not a triathlete or open water swimmer, I just like swimming indoors for fitness and fun. Is the workshop suitable?
Yes. We work with anyone who likes swimming and wants to learn more, whatever your goals. We will teach you the principles of fast and efficient swimming so that you can enjoy your swimming even more.
I can’t swim at all is this course suitable?
No. This course is only suitable for people who are competent front crawl swimmers.
I can only swim breast stroke. Is this course suitable for me?
No. This course is aimed at people that are competent front crawl swimmers who have attended a previous workshop or lessons and can swim 1000m non stop front crawl.
How fit do I need to be? Will the sessions be physically tiring?
This workshop will involve a reasonable amount of swimming in short repetitions of 1-2 lengths with plenty of recovery. You can swim at your own pace and we are not aiming to give you a demanding physical workout. However, being in the pool for 1-2 hours at a time can be demanding and learning something new can sometimes be mentally tiring especially as we will be giving you lots of information throughout the day.
Is there a minimum age requirements to enter the event?
This course is aimed at adult swimmers so the minimum age is 18.
What do I need to bring with me?
Please bring your swimming costume or trunks, goggles and a towel. You may like to bring a couple of each so that you have a dry costume and towel for the second session. We recommend that male students wear a Speedo-type brief or close-fitting triathlon swim shorts, rather than loose-fitting swim trunks, which can make balance even more of a challenge. Swim hats will be provided
What are my transport/parking options?
Bolton train station is a 10-minute drive away, the nearest Metro station – Hall i’the Wood is just over a mile away. The area has an excellent motorway network; Sharples School is 20 min drive from the M60 and M65 making it easily accessible by car. Free car parking is available on site.
What’s the refund policy?
Unfortunately, refunds can’t be offered, but wherever possible we will try to reallocate your place or transfer you to a different workshop or course